Three Points of Attachment for Safety
Clickit Utility is the first dog safety harness to incorporate three-points of attachment to absorb force in a frontal collision by dissipating energy and keep the dog in the car seat during an impact (patents pending). Clickit Utility can also be used in the cargo area and includes a d-ring on the back of the vest so it can be used as a walking harness.
Clickit Utility is similar in concept to the three-point seatbelt federally required in all vehicles. Straps enclosed in Clickit Utility's broad, padded vest hug the upper torso of a dog to absorb forward movement, while belts anchor the lower torso and reduce forward and lateral movement. The three-point design that secures the dog in its space diminishes the opportunity for collision with parts of the vehicle and passengers, and reduces the chance for traumatic injuries that can be associated with one-point dog safety harness designs that can catapult a dog's upper or lower torso forward into front seats, passengers and windows.
Really important Details!
- Clickit Utility must have both tethers attached to restrain a pet in an accident!
- Clickit Utility tethers must be installed with the hooks facing away from your dog!, see image on the right.
- Clickit Utility cannot be used in the front seat!
- Clickit Utility been crash tested up to 75lbs (34kg).
- Sizes range from 31—60in (75—150cm), see bottom of page for measuring instructions. If your pet measures less than 31in (75cm) you should use a crash tested pet carrier. Our testing has shown that car carriers are far safer for smaller pets. Ours include the Air, Sleepypod and Atom.
Unlike traditional one-point dog safety harnesses, Clickit Utility's unique three-point design reduces damaging forces and keeps the upper and lower torso controlled and restrained. Upon impact, breakaway slide buckles and shoulder adjustment straps are designed to break or slide to decrease damaging forces by decelerating the force while the dog remains restrained by the primary harness structure. The harness structure's primary seat belt webbing and hardware absorb the shifted and decelerated force. In combination, the wide-webbed harness structure and vest promote even distribution of force across the dog's chest to lessen the chance of injury. A combination of tethers and shoulder belts create a synergistic effect to hold the dog securely
Tested for safety
Upon impact, breakaway slide buckles and shoulder adjustment straps are designed to break or slide to decrease damaging forces by decelerating the force while the dog remains restrained by the primary harness structure.
Clickit Utility was put through stringent safety tests to include dynamic crash testing and the static tensile testing of all critical safety component; strength classification was determined to be superior strength.
Clickit Utility's three-point design is intended for use in the rear passenger seat. This three-point application was crash tested in the same frontal crashes that ensure the effectiveness of child safety restraints, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 213.
Functionality to Fit Your Needs
Clickit Utility is also designed to secure a dog in the cargo area of a sports utility vehicle in two-point application by attaching to professionally-installed, Sleepypod designed cargo anchors. Sleepypod cargo anchors are sold separately and may be purchased in our online store very soon. Accredited crash test facilities do not test for human safety in the cargo area of a vehicle. In lieu, Sleepypod crash tested Clickit Utility's two-point application in the same frontal crashes that ensure the effectiveness of child safety restraints, the FMVSS No. 213 standard.
What if my car doesn't come with anchors?
If your vehicle is 2002 or older your car might need a latch anchor kit
We suggest you ask your mechanic to install them. Most manufacturers have a simple kit that can be quickly installed. For more information about adding the LATCH system The Car Seat Lady has a great page that offers information on how to retrofit some cars.
Ease of Use
Adjust and secure your pet once and the next trip with your pet will be a snap. For safety, it's important to take time to fit the Clickit Utility vest to your pet properly and then adjust Clickit Utility straps to secure the pet in your vehicle. Thereafter, only as needed, minor adjustments will be necessary.
The stylish Clickit Utility will be available in three crowd pleasing colors:
Clickit Utility is made from ballistic nylon and strength rated hardware and webbing.
Sleepypod's vision is to create innovative, well-designed, and functional products for dogs that complement modern, on-the-go lifestyles.
ClickIt Utility Dog Harness in the media
- " Sleepypod's Clickit three-point safety harness was the only restraint that consistently kept a dog from launching off the seat." -The Wallstreet Journal
- " Cats are probably jealous when they’re not busy being indifferent." -Consumerist.com
- " Only one, the Clickit Utility Harness from Sleepypod, stood up to its stated safety claims" -The New York Times
- " Although some restraints did a good job keeping the dogs in place... " -Wired Magazine
- Accidents Happen: Prevent driver distraction illustration by Subaru
More Information Than You Require
- → Download Instruction Card (PDF)
- → Press Release (PDF)
- → The Car Seat Lady's information on how to retrofit LATCH anchors on some older cars.